THT ransomware is a very dangerous virus instance that has been identified in an ongoing hacker attack. It has been discovered during a security investigation of large enterprises around the world. It is an advanced threat that needs to be removed as fast as possible. Refer to our detailed removal guide to learn more about deleting active TNT ransomware infections.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts sensitive information on your computer system and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files with a strong encryption algorithm.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
THT Ransomware Virus Virus – Distribution Ways
The THT ransomware is a newly discovered virus threat that appears to use popular methods for infection. At the moment the ongoing attack campaigns appears to target primarily large servers used by organizations, corporations and government agencies and also medium-sized businesses. One of the dangerous characteristics about it is the fact that it has been discovered during a security inspection. This means that the virus was able to penetrate all security measures and infiltrate the main servers.
This is probably caused by a direct hack attack that resulted in compromised remote access credentials. It is very possible that the hackers have found a vulnerability on the systems and used the weak spot to intrude into the servers.
If any further attacks are planned by the criminals then the wide array of popular infection tactics can be used. One of the primary ones is the use of email SPAM messages. They coerce the victims into believing that the messages have been sent by a well-known company, the virus files can be either hyperlinked or directly attached.
Using hacker-created download sites the hackers can blackmail the users into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate download portal. They are created using the same design templates as well-known sites. Along with email messages the fake download sites are the primary places where computer users can get infected by malware payloads. There are two main types:
- Documents — The hackers can embed the ransomware code into documents of various types: spreadsheets, presentations, text documents and databases. Once they are opened by the users a notification prompt will appear that will ask for permissions to execute the built-in scripts (macros). This action will trigger a code that starts the virus infection process.
- Browser Hijackers — The THT ransomware can be distributed via browser hijackers — they are malicious web browser plugins that are usually found on the relevant repositories. They are advertised using fake developer credentials and user reviews. — The hacker operators can embed the virus code into application installers of popular software: creativity suites, productivity applications or system utilities. They are made by taking the legitimate file installer from the official download site and creating infected copies of it.
THT Ransomware Virus Virus – In-Depth Analysis
The THT ransomware is an acronym for Timisoara Hacker Team which is the collective’s name. They are probably from Romania or a Romanian-speaking country judging from their name. The initial security analysis suggests that it is based on various ransomware strains that were released so far. The fact that it is not based on one single threat shows that the criminals have attempted to create a custom threat.
This means that it uses a highly customizable code that can launch various processes — already built-in or ones that can be downloaded from the Internet.
The THT ransomware consequently can feature a highly customizable behavior pattern. The most common types rely on starting up the data harvesting module first. It can scan the host computer for any metrics that can help optimize the attacks such as network status and available hardware components. It can also be used to hijack personal data that can reveal the victim’s identity: their name, address, interests, location and passwords.
This information can then be forwarded to another component called stealth protection which guards the engine from security software. They are usually made compatible with the most popular anti-virus products, debug environments and virtual machine hosts.
If instructed so the THT ransomware can carry out various system modifications. As the collected strains have been found to infect deep into the hosts there are many types of system manipulation options available. Some of the possible actions can include the following:
- Windows Registry Modifications — The THT ransomware code can manipulate the available Windows registry entries — both those belonging to the user-installed applications and the operating system ones. This can result in the inability to start certain functions, services and overall system performance will suffer.
- Persistent Installation — The THT ransomware can be configured to make the virus engine automatically start once the computer boots. It will also disable certain services and also disable the boot recovery menu. This effectively disallows most manual user recovery options.
- Additional Modules Delivery — Based upon the information obtained from the victim hosts the ransomware will be able to deploy and start other components.
- Hacker Server Connection — The THT ransomware engine can connect to a hacker-controlled server that allows the criminals to take over control of the infected machines and spy on the victims in real time.
THT Ransomware Virus Virus -Encryption
THT ransomware uses a strong cipher (AES-256) that is applied to the target data. Like other similar viruses it uses a built-in list of target data. Examples include the following:
One of the interesting characteristics is that it doesn’t rename the target data — their icons will be changed to generic White icons. Upon clicking on the victim data the users will receive a notification prompt telling them that the file is corrupted.
A ransomware note has been produced in several strains which reads the following message:
Hello. Sorry, your company’s server hard drive was encrypted by us.
We use the most complex encryption algorithm (AES256). Only we can decrypt.
Please contact us: TimisoaraHackerTeam@protonmail.com (Please check spam, Avoid missing mail)
Identification code: [random characters] (Please tell us the identification code)
Ransom: Please pay 10 bitcoins. After the payment is successful, we will tell the Password.
(If the contact is fast, we will give you a discount.)
In order for you to believe in us, we have prepared the test server. Please contact us and we will tell the test server and decrypt the password.
How to buy and pay for Bitcoin:
Or you can google search “How to buy Bitcoin”
If you know other trading websites better.
We are a professional hacker team, not a virus. We only take directional attacks. We know everything about your company. If you refuse to pay, we will disclose important documents that we have (file, email, contracts and many more).
We are a reputable organization and definitely not a liar. Our business covers more than 20 countries around the world. There are hundreds of companies that have successfully unlocked